Monday, March 11, 2019

Videos


So many great math-related videos coming out all the time. Passing a few along in the event you’ve missed them and have time to catch up:
From Numberphile this is actually an older video on the 'sum of three cubes' equation n = x3 + y3 + z3
...The video is suddenly very pertinent because a solution for the integer 33 has now been discovered, and here it is in all its glory!:
  33 = 88661289752875283 + (-8778405442862239)3  + (-2736111468807040)3 


From Matt Parker another pedagogical video with a mind-blowing ending:


Eugenia Cheng here in a TED talk applying pure, abstract math to our view of society:



If you can possibly find time for it (~90 mins.), phenomenal investor Jim Simons recounts his mesmerizing life in mathematics (and this is just the first of 3 discussions at MIT with Dr. Simons; I assume the others will also be uploaded):


...Lastly, I’ll just re-mention this fun note I tweeted out a couple days back: About a year ago I discovered a retired local math professor who gives free math talks that I attend, had previously worked with Tom Lehrer — I thought that was pretty cooool! Now just this weekend I learned he also previously worked with both Grothendieck and Ted Kaczynski. Wow, THAT'S quite an array of math folks! (and sets me thinking about my own  'six degrees of separation'). ;)



No comments: