Sunday, September 9, 2018

A Few Things Readers Have NOT Submitted Among ‘Greatest Hits’ Posts


When I asked folks to submit some of their favorite math postings of all time I had a definite idea what sort of things might show up.  I’ve been a li’l surprised by the sheer range of pieces people have suggested, as well as by some of the things that have been left out so far (…but please, please keep sending in your picks for now). [email: sheckyr at gmail..... ]

Anyway, will take this opportunity to mention a few varied bits that popped into my mind thinking about this, but that haven’t thus far been contributed by others:

Certainly Quanta Magazine can’t be ignored when it comes to memorable math postings (though no one has mentioned it yet). Just as one example from their great stable of writers, there's this 2016 Erica Klarreich piece on prime number digits:

David Mumford has written a number of great posts over the years at his blog. Here’s one cross-field example:

RadioLab,” one of the best long-running podcasts around, has done several episodes related to math. “Stochasticity” was a good one:

So much joyous math work from Numberphile over the years. Here was the incomparable Tadashi Tokieda with an early piece on “freaky dot patterns”:

As a Keith Devlin groupie, I can’t let him go missing. From his long-running “Devlin’s Angle” blog this is among my many favorites:

…and I also relished his appearance on Krista Tippett’s “On Being” broadcast several years back:

I’ll stop here… and almost hate even mentioning these, because there’s automatically so many great pieces I’m leaving out. No doubt if I searched more, I could find pieces by Barry Mazur, Doug Hofstadter, Jim Propp, Brian Hayes, Natalie Wolchover, Raymond Smullyan, maybe even L.E.J. Brouwer, and others I'd want to pass along, but those just represent some of my tastes/biases; yours will differ.
Anyway, in another week or so will hopefully have organized/formatted the picks readers did send in — but keep on contributing in the meantime. I never tire of seeing the math that others find interesting, inspiring, or just entertaining.


No comments: