Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday Puzzle

I adapted this problem directly from a recent NPR Car Talk puzzler, so if you heard that show you'll know the answer:

My brother Morty and I took a drive up to the mountains this weekend to see the Golden-breasted Flooglebird. Morty drove the first 40 miles and I drove the rest of the way. We saw the Flooglebird right away (or something closely resembling it) and immediately returned home on the exact same route.

On the return trip Morty again drove the first part of the trip, and I drove the final 50 miles this time.
In total who did the most driving, me or Morty, and how many more miles than the other brother did that driver do? (yes, there's enough information to reach an answer!)

.answer below
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
answer: I drove 20 more miles than Morty
(the Car Talk guys explain it their way here: http://www.cartalk.com/content/car-trip-trigonometry-0?answer
)

No comments: