Tuesday, January 7, 2014

"the wonders of the world of algebra"


Sir Roger... and algebra:

Currently lacking time for longer posts, so just another quotation today, this time from the eminent Roger Penrose remarking on his introduction to algebra as a youngster (taken from his Foreward to Mircea Pitici's "The Best Writing on Mathematics 2013"):
"My earliest encounter with algebra came about also at an early age, when, having long been intrigued by the identity 2 + 2 = 2 X 2, I had hit upon 1.5 + 3 = 1.5 X 3. Wondering whether there might be other examples, and using some geometrical consideration concerning squares and rectangles, or something -- I had never done any algebra -- I hit upon some rather too-elaborate formula for what I had guessed might be a general expression for the solution to this problem. Upon my showing this to my older brother Oliver, he immediately showed me how my formula could be reduced to 1/a + 1/b = 1, and he explained to me how this formula indeed provided the general solution to a + b = a X b.  I was amazed by this power of simple algebra to transform and simplify  expressions, and this basic demonstration opened my eyes to the wonders of the world of algebra."

1 comment:

Gregory Presley said...

i have know little bit about Algebra . Basically Algebra is a Franchise or branches in other world of mathematics that solves with relations, operations and their constructions. It is one of building blocks of mathematics and it finds a huge variety of applications in our day-to-day life.
this is a part from its significance as a core subject of mathematics, Algebra and Calculus Help helps students and kids a lot in developing an overall understanding of other advanced branches of mathematics such as Calculus, Geometry, Arithmetic etc.
its bjective with this course content is to present Algebra and its associated concepts in an interesting and easy manner so that the school going kids can learn the subject with ease and interest.