Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Fun Faves

 Recently saw a web-post of someone listing their 5 favorite just-for-fun math books to read and got me to wondering what I might choose for such a list from my own bookshelf. There have been so many entertaining, fun reads in popular math over the last few decades (including MANY I don’t have on my bookshelf) it’s a near-impossible choice, but in a quick-scan here’s what I came up with in no particular order (in large part these are volumes that can be picked up, turned to any page or section, and land upon some fun or interesting content for the lay-reader; and oddly, with the exception of Ben’s book, these are mostly older offerings):

1.  Curious and Interesting Mathematics  by David Wells

2.  Mathematical Fallacies and Paradoxes by Bryan Bunch

3.  Math Charmers by Alfred Posamentier

4.  The Colossal Book of Mathematics by Martin Gardner

…and, of course:

5.  Math With Bad Drawings by Ben Orlin



No comments: